A.Â QUALIFICATIONS OF DELEGATES
All Delegates shall be Full Members in good standing (financial) for at least one (1) year except for the Student Representative and the Postgraduate Physician Delegates. States, Postgraduate physicians, medical students and medical schools shall be represented at the Annual Meeting of the House of Delegates.
- Number of Delegates
- State Representation: Each State Society shall be represented with 1) One (1) Delegate for the State Society; 2) One (1) Delegate for each organized, functioning local Society as recognized by the State Society, and 3) One (1) Delegate for every ten (10) active members or faction thereof.
- Post Graduate Representation: The Post Graduate Physician Delegation shall consist of six (6) physician Delegates.
- Student Representation: The Student Delegation shall consist of one (1) active member of the Student National Medical Association.
- Medical School Representation: There shall be one (1) Delegate each from the Howard University College of Medicine; Morehouse School of Medicine; Meharry Medical College School of Medicine; and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science.
- Ex Officio Delegates
The Trustees, the Former Presidents, the Former Speakers and the Editor of the Journal of the National Medical Association shall be ex officio members of the House, without the right to vote, unless they are elected or appointed Delegates.
- Term of Office
State Delegates are elected by the State Chapter [refer to Section ]I. E. Delegation Correspondents]. Postgraduate Physician Delegates are appointed by the Speaker of the House. The Student Representative shall be appointed by the Speaker of the House in consultation with the President of the Student National Medical Association. The term of Delegates is for one (1) year and shall expire upon the next appointment of Delegates.
- Credentialing of Delegates
The number of Delegates from each State shall be determined by the number of Full and Associate Members in good standing (financial) in the State, as of December 31st of year prior to convention.
Each Delegate has one (1) vote with the exception of ex officio Delegates. Delegates may not vote by proxy.
- Removal of Delegates
State Delegates may be removed from office by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the State Delegation. Postgraduate Physician and Student Delegates may be removed by the Speaker of the House or a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the House.
B.Â HOUSE DELEGATES DUES AND REGISTRATION FEES
Delegates are required to pay current year dues by May 15 and the same fees that are assessed other Association members in order to attend the Annual Convention for the purpose of participating in House of Delegates Meetings.
C.Â STATE DELEGATE FEES
Each State will be assessed a delegate fee equivalent to the individual fee times the number of Delegates permitted for each State. State delegate fees must be paid by June 30 in order for the Delegation to enter the floor of the House as a recognized Delegation.
D.Â INTERIM HOUSE MEETING SCHEDULE
There may be a scheduled meeting of the House of Delegates to be held in conjunction with the Interim Meeting of the Board of Trustees when the Speaker elects to recess rather than adjourn the House because of unfinished business. The Interim Meeting closes out the year by completing unfinished business remaining from the Annual Convention.